I'm pressed but not crushed,
persecuted not abandoned.
Struck down but not destroyed.
I'm blessed beyond the curse
For His promise will endure,
That His joy's gonna be my strength.
How many of us will say that when we go through tough times, just as Paul did. Still, he managed to find joy in the Lord through those times and we OUGHT to learn from him. We always tend to fall apart and wonder why did God do this to you when you are facing with some difficult things, but can we consider our difficulties worse than what Paul has gone through?
Something just struck me during the CNY service today when Pastor Moh Ying was preaching. Going the second mile is what many of us have not been doing and not wanting to do. It really made me feel guilty of what I've done so far. I've thought of how I've not loved everyone regardless of their attitudes. I've not loved everyone regardless of how bad they might treat me. It's more of me judging everyone around me. Well, when she went through the verse Matthew 5:38-42, I just felt that I needed to do more than what I've been doing. The Second Mile. "If someone hits you on the cheek, let him hit you on the other side as well." Isn't it weird and out of the ordinary to do such a thing? And yet Jesus commands us to do that. That is radical love, love from God. Unconditional love from God. The part that really struck me was when she said that we should not punish anyone who do wrong to us, instead forgive them because God first forgave us. We did not even deserve that forgiveness, what more do we have the right to punish those who do wrong to us?
"I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, there is no more hurt, but more love." So why not love more? We all know it is difficult to love people that we do not like, but through God all things are possible! We draw strength from God! Paul did not hate those who persecuted Him. Jesus did not hate those who nailed Him on the cross, in fact, He went to the extent of forgiving them. The joy of the Lord is my strength.
As the new chinese year unfolds, we want to make sure that we love the way Jesus loved us. He created all of us, to fellowship and to help one another in times of trouble. "Let us love one another for love comes from God." The question now is... Will we go the second mile?
I'm trading my sorrows,
I'm trading my shame,
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord.
I'm trading my sickness,
I'm trading my pain,
I'm laying them down for the joy of the Lord.